I think it is very important to stay in close contact with the parents of my students and I do my very best to keep you informed in the following ways:
-Kidmail- The Kidmail folder is a great communication tool! Inside a green folder, which I will provide, you will find a sheet where we can communicate back and forth. For each day of the week, there will be a space for you to send quick notes and questions back and forth. There is also a place for your signature. It will also include a daily behavior report. You can read more about behavior expectations in the next section. Use this folder to send or return anything to me that I need to see. Please sign the KidMail sheet every night and I will check it every day.
-Binders- Each child will keep a class binder. This binder will be a great organization tool for your child. The students will carry these with them as they change classes. It will help them to keep papers from their three main classes organized. Below are some of the components of the binder.
- Front Pocket- Forms or papers that need to be filled out, signed, and returned will be placed in this pocket, labeled “Return to School”.
- Zipper Pouch- The students will use this to carry their pencils, erasers and other small personal items with them as they change classes.
- Weekly Newsletter- I send a newsletter home for the following week each Friday. A copy can also be found on my website once it is up and running. This will be kept in a page protector in the front of the binder for easy reference. The newsletter will contain the spelling list, important classroom information, and any other special announcements. Please look for this on Friday afternoons and use it for a guide for the week. I will update you on any changes to the newsletter by note or in the students’ planners.
- Student Planner/Agenda- A planner/agenda will be given to each child. It must be kept in the three ring binder. In third grade, the planner is basically an organization tool for the student. They will write down their homework assignment, study reminders, and any changes to the newsletter in the planner. That is why it is essential to look at this each night. Please initial it nightly so I know that you are informed.. Please do not write notes to me in the planner as this is truly their tool. Send all notes on the Kidmail. I really want the students to take ownership of their planner and use it as their own personal organization tool.
- Pocketed Dividers- The binder will contain a pocket divider for each subject. Students will bring homework assignments home from each class in the folder for that subject. The homework should be returned in the same pocket.
- Back pocket- This will be the ‘Keep at Home’ pocket of their binder. Graded papers and other papers that need to remain at home will be sent in this pocket. Please empty it often.